Vicar VIctoria holds the host aloft during communion Victoria Ashdown celebrates Holy Communion at St Mark Ian Wyllie 2016

St Mark, Ampfield a listed place of worship

St Marks is a Victorian church building in a wooded glade at the heart of the growing village of Ampfield, It was designed by John Keble, promoter of the Oxford Movement in Christianity and at the time of St Mark's construction Vicar of the neighbouring parish of Hursley

The current church dedicated to St Mark was built in 1838-41. Unusually for any church in England, the current building interior is largely as it was in 1841. This reflects the design intentions of John Keble, then leading light in the Oxford Movement. He designed a church which tells the story of God alive and at work in the world with every brick. It is a theatre for the soul, and a place of great love.

Facility Properties

  • Address - A3090, Ampfield SO51 9BU
  • Maximum seating capacity - 200
  • Recommend seating capacity - 100
  • Type of seating - Victorian wooden pews, elevated from nave floor by around 10cm.
  • Access adaptions for people with mobility impairments - Steps are an integral part of this listed building. Assistance will be on hand for anyone who needs it. Assisted Wheelchair users can access all areas via channel ramps.
  • Access adaptions for sensory disability - An hearing loop is in place. Team members are happy to help people with visual impairment find their way around. Large print service sheets are available.
  • Access around site - Around 100m of gravel track from carpark to main door. Closer parking on request.
  • Accessing the church from outside - Threshold to stone slab, then three separated steps.
  • Accessing the chancel from the nave - Staggered access of one step to communion rail, then a further two steps to altar.
  • Site construction details - Currently of blue fired brick and stone construction in the ‘early English’ fashion making this Victorian church look much older than it is. The gable has an elaborate stone bell turret with diagonally placed octagonal spire.
  • Facility first opened - 1838-1841
  • Building listing number - Grade II listed - 1339161

Print   Email