A Victorian church building on the site of an ancient place of worship in Chilworth Old Village. The church is close to the University Science Park and Chilworth Manor Hotel.
The church stands on the site of a probably Saxon - Norman church which dating back to C12. The present Parish Church was completed in 1820 and only faint traces of the previous construction remain. The village of Chilworth has grown South and east from the church, so that it retains the feel of a country church despite its proximity to the University of Southampton Science Park and the modern village.
Address - St Denys Church, Chilworth Old Village, Southampton SO16 7NN
Maximum seating capacity - 90
Recommend seating capacity - 60
Type of seating - Victorian wooden pews, elevated from nave floor by around 10cm.
Access adaptions for people with mobility impairments - Visitors recieve a courteous welcome and the team will adjust as far as the church allows. Wheelchair users may struggle.
Access around site - Tarmac path traverses grass burial ground which is uneven
Accessing the church from outside - Steep inclines from carpark to church on tarmac path. 5cm threshold to church porch
Accessing the chancel from the nave - Access to the chancel rail is step free. One further step to the altar
Site construction details - Currently of brick construction with stucco finish and slate root. A squat tower dominates the western end.
Facility first opened - 1812 - 1820
Building listing number - Grade II listed - 1157458