_53_0863

St John the Baptist, North Baddesley a listed place of worship

Historic chapel with a open and friendly congregation and compact. the chapel has a beautiful interior in the historic heart of North Baddesley on the Flexford Road ridge

The chapel has a very human scale in its interior, and wraps round the worshipper with that welcoming presence of a place where prayer has been valid for many many years. We celebrate a regular pattern of communion and evensong services here, and use it for a many community and outreach events. We know that at times that prayer will have been for the preservation of the faith in times of great strife: the chapel bears the bears the scars of the reformation with only the remains of a rood screen present, and the prominent coat of royal arms at the west end.

The Chapel of St John the Baptist has stood on this site since before 1100. At present it lies on the very northern edge of the village of North Baddesley, and it partners with a contemporary church in the village centre in serving the parish. Recent restoration has seen the wooden barrel vault of the east end repainted in its medieval splendour. As is common the church has been repeatedly amended and rebuilt, so now the Chancel is C15, west tower and west wall from the 1670’s.

 

Facility Properties

  • Address - Flexford Rd, North Baddesley, Hampshire, SO52 9DF
  • Maximum seating capacity - 85
  • Recommend seating capacity - 50
  • Type of seating - Fixed wooden pews
  • Access adaptions for people with mobility impairments - Nave is uneven brick and stone flooring in this ancient building. People using rolllators or wheelchairs will find suitable space near the font and will be warmly weclomed
  • Access around site - The site is in a historic churchyard which has grass paths and significant inclines
  • Accessing the church from outside - There is a threshold into the church porch and then a drop of about 10cm from the porch to the nave floor
  • Accessing the chancel from the nave - There is a step up from the nave to the chancel at the rood screen
  • Site construction details - Rededicated 1304 to St John the Baptist. Chancel rebuilt in 15th Century, a short engaged tower built in 1674. All restored by Gilbert Scott 1879
  • Facility first opened - 1100
  • Building listing number - Grade II* listed - 1093668

Print   Email